The Isle of Wight Technology Group is formed of a variety of technology companies across the Island, ranging from small and medium size enterprises (SMEs) to large multinationals. It is chaired by Geoff Underwood, Managing Director of Inflight Peripherals (IFPL).
We have a common purpose of furthering industry, promoting engineering and technology as a career path, and encouraging employment in these areas on the Isle of Wight.
Industry on the Isle of Wight
The Isle of Wight has a rich industrial heritage, which continues today with the Island being home to many innovative companies at the leading edge of their respective disciplines.
As a group, we aim to:-
- Promote the Island’s technology companies both to its residents and across the UK.
- Raise the profile of the Island as a location for other technology companies within the UK, offering a significant skills resource base.
- Advertise the Island as an attractive careers proposition for existing and potential residents alike with an interest in working for technologically innovative companies.
- Promote STEM-IT subjects throughout the Island’s education system, encouraging young people to consider technology and engineers as a career path.
- Ensure alignment between the requirements of industry for appropriately skilled employees and the educational infrastructure able to deliver those skills both on the Island and nearby on the UK mainland.
- Facilitate and encourage resource sharing between group members.
The group’s vision is to establish the Isle of Wight as a location of choice for technology companies in the UK, such that the Island is not just a great place to live, but also an exciting and interesting place to work for those engaged by technologically innovative businesses, offering careers underpinned by a high standard of accessible educational resources.